Position Title: Associate Program Officer
Department: Crohn’s Disease
Reports to: Program Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust (“Helmsley”) aspires to improve lives by supporting exceptional efforts in the U.S. and around the world in health and select place-based initiatives. Helmsley strives to make a meaningful impact in its focus areas, matching its significant financial assets with a rigorous and results-oriented approach. Helmsley is committed to close and productive partnerships with its grantees, as well as with other funders and impact players in government, academia, and the private sector who share its interests and goals. Above all, Helmsley endeavors to be forward-thinking in every aspect of its work and will take risks that others cannot or will not take when the risk/reward trade-off warrants.
Since 2008, when Helmsley began its active grantmaking, it has committed more than $2 billion. For more information on Helmsley, please visit www.helmsleytrust.org.
The Crohn’s Disease Program
Helmsley’s Crohn’s Disease Program, which made its first grant in 2009, is committed to finding cures, and until then to improving quality of life and care and finding better treatments for Crohn’s disease. To date, the program, which has rapidly become the largest private foundation funder in Crohn’s disease, has awarded over $250 million to scientists and clinicians across the globe. As part of our current strategy, we are looking to build a portfolio of grants focused on prevention, diagnostic, therapeutic, and disease management, meeting people with Crohn’s disease where they are to improve the quality of their lives.
For more information on the Crohn’s Disease Program, please visit www.helmsleytrust.org/programs/health-crohns-disease.
Helmsley’s Crohn’s Disease Program team is growing and seeking Associate Program Officers (APOs) to directly support the Crohn’s Disease Program Director and Officers. APOs will provide programmatic support for the grantmaking process, as well as help to identify and develop new initiatives focusing on therapeutics, prevention, and diagnostics of Crohn’s disease.
- Ensure timely, confidential and effective grants management processes
- Assist Program Officers and other team members with the grants process, which includes working with applicants to prepare project proposals and budgets for review
- Collaborate with grantees and internal departments to track grant progress and ensure progress reports and payments are processed in a timely manner
- Respond to grant inquiries
- Assist with landscape assessments in order to identify new funding opportunities
- Represent the Trust at conferences and site visits
- Write memos related to grantee interactions, progress reports and potential grant recommendations
- Administrative responsibilities related to the above and to other areas as needed
Experience and Qualifications
- Completion of an advanced degree (Master’s degree or higher) and experience in biomedical research or related field required
- Knowledge of Crohn’s disease is preferred but not required
- Background in the nonprofit or foundation sectors and grantmaking is a plus
- Must be organized, detail-oriented, and have strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Must demonstrate excellent written and oral presentation skills for both technical and lay audiences
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Demonstrated ability to exercise independent judgment and initiative, prioritize and accurately complete multiple tasks, and work under deadlines
- A strong team player with a diplomatic, professional manner
The Associate Program Officer position is based at Helmsley’s main office in New York City. To apply, please submit cover letter and resumé (in Word or PDF format) at www.helmsleytrust.org/jobs-helmsley. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the U.S. and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Helmsley does not provide visa sponsorship for employment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required for the position. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Download the job description here: APO CD Job Description 05.07.19